New England Food Blogger and Registered Dietician, Jenny Shea Rawn, suggests making these beautiful tacos using our fermented seaweed salad: “The majority of seaweed on the market (98%!) is grown in Asia. Most of that is dried and dyed. We love seaweed salad, so when we heard about this [Atlantic Sea Farms] version that is cultivated and harvested close to home, we had to try it. And gosh. It is just so. much. better. It’s clean tasting, healthy, and rich in probiotics, antioxidants and other essential nutrients with no coloring/dyes added.”
Check out the recipe below and her fantastic food blog here.
Seared Tuna Tacos
Street-size flour tortillas topped with wasabi, thinly sliced red cabbage, seared soy ginger marinated tuna, seaweed salad and sliced scallions. These Asian-inspired tacos are a tuna and seaweed salad lovers dream.
FOR THE TUNA
- 1 1/2 lb tuna steaks, sushi grade yellow fin tuna
- 1/4 cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste we buy this in a prepared tube – you can also grate a ginger root yourself
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 small flour tortillas street taco size, warmed
- 1/4 cup wasabi mayo we used Kikkoman brand, but Trader Joes has one too
- 1/4 medium red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Atlantic Sea Farms Seaweed Salad
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- black sesame seeds
- pickled ginger
- 1 lime cut into wedges
FOR THE TUNA
- Combine tuna, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, sriracha, fresh ginger paste and garlic powder in a resealable bag. Marinate tuna for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Clean and oil the grates.
- Remove tuna from marinade. Discard marinade. Reduce grill heat to medium high. Place tuna on the grill and grill until desired doneness (we cooked ours for 2-3 minutes per side). Remove from grill. Slice tuna thinly against the grain.
TO ASSEMBLE THE TACOS
- Add a smear of wasabi mayo to each flour tortilla, followed by red cabbage, tuna, seaweed salad and scallions. Sprinkle black sesame seeds overtop tacos.
- Serve tacos with pickled ginger and lime wedges.