Makes 2 x 10 inch pancakes
- 1/2 small head cabbage, finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, dark green parts reserved separately
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3.5 oz can of Wild-Caught Smoked Albacore Tuna
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Atlantic Sea Farms Sea-Chi
- 1/2 cup cold water or dashi
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional: use 1 teaspoon of soy or tamari sauce if not using fish sauce)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 to 10 thin slices uncured pork belly (optionalâ€“use 3 tablespoons vegetable oil if not using pork belly)
- ½ cup Atlantic Sea Farms Fermented Seaweed Salad
- Bonito flakes, for serving
- Mayonnaise (preferably Kewpie), for serving
- Combine cabbage, scallion whites and half of greens, Atlantic Sea Farms Sea-Chi, 1/3 of the Fishwife Tuna, ginger, sugar, fish sauce (or soy sauce), eggs, and water (or dashi) in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour and stir until a thick batter forms, adding more flour if needed (in very small amounts at a time). Set aside.
- If using pork belly, cover the bottom of a 10-inch nonstick skillet with half of the pork belly and set over medium heat. Add half of the okonomiyaki mixture and spread into an even layer with a fork. (If not using pork belly, heat half of vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add half okonomiyaki mixture and spread into an even layer with a wooden spoon or spatula.)
- Cook on medium heat, shaking pan occasionally, until bottom layer is crisp and well browned, about 10 minutes, lowering heat as necessary if cabbage threatens to burn.
- Slide pancake (cooked side down) onto a large plate or cutting board. Place skillet over pancake and, holding plate and skillet pan firmly together, invert pancake into skillet, pork side down. Cook over medium until pork is browned and pancake is heated through, about 10 minutes. Slide pancake onto a plate and set aside.
- Repeat process for the second pancake.
- Time to dress the okonomiyaki pancakes. Scatter top of pancake with Atlantic Sea Farms Fermented Seaweed Salad. Drizzle with mayonnaise to your preference. Top pancakes with remaining Fishwife Tuna- scattered evenly around the top of the pancake. Sprinkle a few bonito flakes and your remaining scallion greens on top. Enjoy!