Atlantic Sea Farms (ASF) is a brand with a robust social and environmental mission and ambitious growth goals. We pride ourselves on building a brand and team with integrity that is fiercely dedicated to our social mission to grow the seaweed aquaculture industry for Maine and create opportunities for Maine’s working waterfront communities.
We are seeking a dedicated individual to join our team as the Cultivation Assistant. This is a seasonal position. This person will assist the Cultivation Specialist in the daily care of our seaweed cultures and report to the Cultivation Manager. The majority of the work will be in our Cultivation Center, which is a ‘wet-boots’ environment.
A successful applicant should be diligent about maintaining a clean cultivation environment, be consistent about documenting all husbandry tasks, and will be vigilant about the health of our cultures. Tasks will vary based on the workload, but will include water exchanges, cleaning tanks, documenting cell growth under a microscope, entering data and testing water conditions. ASF can provide training for all aspects of this job. This person must also work well as part of a mission-driven team, and be adaptable and flexible to the frequent changes in an exciting start-up atmosphere.
• Work directly with Cultivation Specialist to grow over 1,000 kelp spools for our partner farmer network.
• Support Seaweed Cultivation Manager and Supply and Advancement Manager with seeding season logistics including seed drop-offs.
• Maintain a culture-clean working environment.
• Experience working in and maintaining a clean work environment
• Basic foundation in biology
• Comfortable using hand tools and small power tools safely
• Demonstrated ability to carry out daily tasks with minimal supervision
• Ability to identify, document and troubleshoot problems
• Familiarity with using a light microscope
• Experience entering data and data management
• Adaptability – as well as an appreciation and understanding for changing and nascent systems as part of a start-up
• Strong interpersonal and professional skills
• Ability to work productively in an ambiguous and high-energy environment
• Supporting food safety and quality culture by maintaining a clean environment in the cultivation center
• Must be able to lift 40 lbs independently
• Must be able to safely work in a wet cultivation environment
• Preferred experience with recirculating and flow-through seawater systems
• Patience, a sense of humor, and a sense of humility and optimism
COMPENSATION & DURATION:
• This position is a seasonal, hourly contract with an anticipated duration of 15 weeks, 40 hours per week and an hourly rate of $15 - $17 per hour depending on experience. Applicants should be available to start on or around August 1st, 2022; an earlier start date may be possible for the right candidate. This contract may be extended for up to 20 weeks based on performance and workload.
To inquire, please email Thew Suskiewicz: email@example.com
Ocean Approved, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.